Section 121(1) of the Local Government: Municipal Finance Management Act 56 of 2003 (MFMA) stipulates that every municipality and municipal entity must for each financial year prepare an annual report in accordance with its guidelines.
The purpose of the annual report is to provide a record of the activities for that year, to report on performance against the budget of the Knysna Municipality for the financial year reported on, and to promote accountability to the local community for the decisions made throughout the year.
According to the MFMA, this Report should include:
- The annual financial statements of the Municipality, and consolidated annual financial statements, submitted to the Auditor-General for audit in terms of section 126 (1) of the MFMA;
- The Auditor-General’s audit report in terms of section 126 (3) of the MFMA and in accordance with s45 (b) of the MSA; on the financial statements in (a) above;
- The annual performance report of the Municipality as prepared by the Knysna Municipality in terms of section 45(b) of the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act 32 of 2000 (MSA);
- An assessment of the arrears on municipal taxes and service charges;
- An assessment of the Municipality’s performance against the measurable performance objectives referred to in Section 17 (3)(b) of the MFMA for revenue collection from each revenue source and for each vote in the Municipality’s approved budget for the financial year;
- Corrective action taken in response to issues raised in the audit reports referred to in paragraphs (b) and (d); and
- Recommendations of the Municipality’s Audit Committee.
Stakeholders and residents are encouraged to study this document as it will give them a better understanding of the workings of the organisation.
Annual Report 2017/2018
ANNUAL REPORT: 2017/2018
FINANCIAL YEAR: OVERSIGHT REPORT IN TERMS OF SECTION 129 OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT: MUNICIPAL FINANCE MANAGEMENT ACT, 2003
Notice is hereby given that the Annual Report (AR) for the 2017/18 financial year has been tabled at the Municipal Council meeting, in terms of Section 127(2) of the Local Government: Municipal Finance Management Act, 2003, (MFMA) on 30 January 2019.
The Annual Financial Statements for the 2017/18 financial year are attached to the Annual Report as Volume II.
In terms of Section 127(5)(a)(i) of the MFMA the Annual Report is hereby made public. Copies of the Annual Report are available for perusal at all the Public Libraries and Municipal Offices. An electronic version can also be viewed on the Municipal website on www.knysna.gov.za.
The local community is invited, in terms of Section 127(5)(a)(ii) of the MFMA to submit representations in connection with the Annual Report. The deadline for written representations is 13:30 on Friday, 22 February 2019. Furthermore, parties, bodies and individuals who submit representations are afforded the opportunity to address the Municipal Public Accounts Committee during its meeting to be held at 09:00 in the Committee Room, Corporate Building, Clyde Street, Knysna on Thursday, 7 March 2019.
All representations must be in writing and must be submitted on or before the deadline to the Acting Municipal Manager, P.O. Box 21, Knysna, 6570, or can be hand delivered to the Corporate Building, Clyde Street, Knysna. Alternatively, electronic submissions can be e-mailed to email@example.com.
If additional information is required, kindly contact Mr. Carl Mattheus on 044 302 6445 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acting Municipal Manager
31 January 2018
5 Available for download