Apply for a Disconnection / Reconnection

Apply for a Disconnection / Reconnection?

Please go to the Customer Care Centre closest to you to fill in the relevant documentation.


  • Only the owner of the property can apply for reconnections, not the tenant.
  • Please make sure to bring the following documentation with:
    • a copy of the rates account for the property
    • the property owner’s ID or a certified copy of their ID
    • a letter of proxy from the company’s board of directors if the application is being made for a company, giving the person doing the application authority to sign on behalf of the company
    • certified identification of the person who will be signing on behalf of the company if the application is being made for a company
    • depending on the type of application, other documents may also be requested.