The Land Use Management Division consists of a Land Use Planning Section and Development Information Section.
The purpose of spatial planning is to provide a framework for the spatial vision and form of Knysna Municipality. The approved Spatial Development Framework (SDF) provides guidelines for future development and growth of the Municipal Area in a predictable manner to enhance the quality of life of its residents.
A Draft Municipal Spatial Development Framework (MSDF) is currently being prepared and will be finalised in the 2019/2020 financial year with the main priority being to guide new investment, give effect to the principles as stated in the SPLUMA and Strategic Objectives of the Integrated Development Plan and identify priority areas for strategic intervention.
Land Use Management Activities:
The Land Use Management Division is inter alia responsible for the following functions:
- Developing and Reviewing Municipal Spatial Development Framework;
- Developing policies and strategies guiding the long-term development of the municipality;
- Identifying land for future development;
- Processing of Land Use Applications;
- Updating Zoning Map and Register.
Relevant Policies and Legislation
The following legislation is applicable to Land Use Management:
- Spatial Planning & Land Use Management Act (Act No.16 of 2013);
- Western Cape Land Use Planning Act (Act No. 3 of 2014);
- Knysna Municipality By-Law on Municipal Land Use Planning (2016);
- Spatial Development Framework (2017);
- Western Cape Land Use Planning Rural Areas Guidelines (2019);
- Street Naming & Numbering Policy (2019);
- Knysna Zoning Scheme Regulations (1992);
- Sedgefield Zoning Scheme Regulations (1988);
- Noetzie Scheme Regulations (2000);
- Section 8 Scheme Regulations (1980)
Manager: Land Use Management,
Mr. Hennie Smit
Tel. 044 302 6319
New Draft Zoning Scheme By-law
4 Available for download
- Knysna Municipality Draft Zoning Scheme COMMENT FORM
- 139314 KPH 18X3
- Proposed Draft Knysna Municipality Zoning Scheme Bylaw
- Knysna Zoning Scheme By-law Register
Zoning Scheme Maps
12 Available for download
Documents and Forms
10 Available for download
6 Available for download
5 Available for download
Spatial Development Framework
Greater Knysna is constantly changing and growing. To ensure that the town remains a quality place in which to live, work and invest, as well as to visit, it needs a plan to guide this future growth and change in the best possible way. Generally, this plan is known as a Spatial Development Framework (SDF).
5 Available for download