The objective of the Property Management Section is to ensure that Knysna Municipality’s real estate portfolio is managed profitably, efficiently, effectively in accordance with organization policies and mandate as outlined in the Municipal Finance Management Act 56 of 2003 (MFMA), and Municipal Transfer Regulations of 2008 (MTR) in order to facilitate the sustainable generation of social, environmental and economic returns for the residents of Knysna.
How does the application process work?
- Complete the prescribed application form which is available below or at the Main Building, 5 Clyde Street, Knysna 6571.
- Submit the completed application form per e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver the application at the Main Building, 5 Clyde Street, Knysna 6571.
- The Property Management Section will verify the information on the application form and the completeness thereof, then obtain information in respect of the land in question like ownership, extent, servitudes, restrictions, services, future usage, zoning and location.
- The application will be submitted to the Application for Leasing & Alienation Committee (ALAC), which consists of all the relevant departments for comments.
- The comments from the ALAC will be considered and a report will be drafted and referred to the Portfolio Committee, Mayoral Committee and then Council.
- If the Council refuses the application, the applicant will be informed.
- Should the application be pre-approved, the proposed leasing/selling of the property will be advertised in the media for comments. All comments and/objections received will be considered.
- The Property Management Section will then obtain market related valuation of the property for lease or alienation depending on the application, which will be at the cost of the applicant.
- A report back item will then be prepared to the Portfolio Committee, Mayoral Committee and Council for a final decision taking into account any comments/objections received.
- Once a decision is made, the applicant will then be informed in writing.
All applications will be considered in accordance with the following legislative frameworks and Council Policies;
- Municipal Assets Transfer Regulations, 2008 (MATR).
- Municipal Supply Chain Management Regulations, 2005- Regulation 40 (MFMA SCMR).
- Management of Immovable Property Policy
- Knysna Municipality’s by-laws and regulations.
Contact: Head Properties
Ms Nonhlanhla Mndebela
Telephone: +27 (0)44 302 6476